Contact lens wear can be hindered by many factors, including one that is often overlooked – eye makeup. Here are a few tips that can lead to more successful contact lens wear.
- Put your contact lenses in before applying cosmetics to avoid picking up makeup residue
- Always remember to close the tops of cosmetics to help prevent bacterial contamination
- Avoid hair sprays and spray deodorant as the spray may go into your eyes.
- Use only water-based mascara and eye makeup remover labeled hypoallergenic or for sensitive eyes. Avoid waterproof mascara as it contains mineral spirits and petroleum distillates, which are irritating. NEVER USE VASOLINE OR BABY OIL.
- The safest eye shadow is a cream product, since creams do not create particle fallout like powdered shadows. If powdered eyeshadows are used, a base should be used on the lids prior to application. This will keep the shadow on the lids.
- Eyeliner must not be applied to the inner eyelid margins as it can cause pore blockage. Soft crayon-type pencil liners are less apt to cause flaking than liquids.
- Moisturizers should not be put inside the bony orbital area of the eye.